John & Henri Boggs
Car Club Badges
John & Henri have been collecting car badges for over 40 years. They attend many shows around the United States, England and France in search of badges and other automobilia. Their collecting interests also include automotive mascots, radiator emblems and automotive literature. Their car badge collection now numbers over 2,200 badges and is still growing. They were major contributors and collaborated on the 328 page book “The World of Car Badges” by Jan Sarnesjo, which was published in 2003 and is the most complete and authoritative guide to car badges on the market. They may be reached at 412-657-1883 or
Some of John & Henri's articles:
Car Club Badges
In The Beginning
American Motor League:
The first United States automobile organization was the American Motor League (AML). The AML was organized at a meeting in Chicago, Illinois November 1, 1895 at the Chicago School of Electricity on Dearborn Street. The organizations purpose was to promote legislation favorable to the rights of automobile owners, and the promotion of better roads. The club logo was a wheel with a wing attached to the hub and as of this writing, no large badge has been found. Due to the club’s short life, the club may have only issued a pin. While there was a lot of interest and support for the AML, there were other competing organizations being formed in these early years which led to the demise of the AML. In 1904 the AML merged with the newly formed American Automobile Association (AAA).